An interdiction is a court procedure where an adult person is found legally incapable of handling their property or taking care of their person and a guardian is appointed to handle their property and to make sure their personal needs are met.

The process for an interdiction is:

We take in the information on the person to be interdicted. We need name, age, date of birth, parents’ names, education, mental capacity, and any physical problems, current medical records and a letter from their treating doctor that they are not capable of handling their property or taking care of themselves without assistance.

Once we get this information, we prepare the court paperwork. A hearing at the courthouse is held. The proposed interdict has an attorney appointed to represent their interests. That attorney will go and meet with the proposed interdict and review any medical records.

If necessary, we will take the recorded testimony of the doctor.

There is a curator or guardian appointed, and a second in charge or under-curator appointed.

Once the interdiction is complete, the curator has all powers to handle matters for the adult incompetent.