As we gather with our loved ones this holiday season, it may be a good time to have a discussion with your family regarding your estate planning documents. You may need to tell your loved ones where these are located and who to contact in the case of illness or death. You may be unsure if you need new or updated documents. If you have wills, powers of attorney, and living wills already in place, pull those out and read through them to make sure they still meet your needs.
The best thing we can do for our families is prepare them. This can bring your family a sense of empowerment and peace as we start a new year.
If your family does not have a current estate plan- we have eight simple steps to follow.
- Tell the attorney what you want to happen
- Be completely honest.
- Think of your own needs.
- Find a knowledgeable attorney that you are comfortable with.
- Be prepared to pay a fair price.
- Review your document drafts and ask questions.
- Don’t forget to execute the document!
- Review every ten years and update after any major life changes.